Jun 18, 2011

My NBA 2k11 Story

My relationship with NBA 2k11 and its "My Player" mode has turned into a marriage. I love it because it's a ton of fun and really addicting, yet it annoys the crap out of me and is the first game ever having me automaticly yelling shit out IRL.




For you who don't know: In "My Player" mode you create your own basketball player, and start off by trying to get drafted to the NBA. If you play good from the start you might end up in a NBA-team, if you're bad/mediocre you end up in the D-League (farm-league). Then you play for big numbers and bringing home wins for your team by playing smart (it's not all about scoring as good passes that leads to scores is also important, and the game understands that). It is in fact the best basketball-game ever made, it's very realistic. Yet it still gets really annoying. Let me tell you about my experience so far.


I started out as a complete noob. Learning the controls, learning the game. It was really hard to put out any good numbers. But with time both me and my character got better. So after a while I finally ended up in my favorite NBA-team: Denver Nuggets. That was great. It was really awesome being on the court with the players I had only seen from highlight reels and the occasional live game (the games usually end around 5.30 or 6 AM in Sweden). But it wasn't all good. Some games the team played really bad. I was fine with it though as that's how it is IRL aswell. BUT sometimes it was just pure annoying.


The NBA finals between Nuggets and Heat is a good example: I'm running 6 min quarters with 6 min simulated quarter length. As the Heats is a really tough opponent with players like LeBron James, Chris Bosh and Dwayne Wade on your ass. So I focus and work really hard and do my absolute best FOR THE TEAM to keep us in the game. After four minuters in the first quarter it's 14-14 between the teams, 12 of those points were made by me, and coach puts me on the bench (which is usually fine - it's normal). Two minutes into the second quarter coach puts me back into the game. Can you guess what the score was? Miami 27 to Nuggets fucking 14... Nuggets had scored zero points and had let the Heat bring home 13 points unanswered. I abondoned the game and took a break before trying again. Didn't want to risk punching a hole in the wall. Nuggets ended up winning the entire playoffs ofcourse. ;)

And then we come to where we are today: It's a new season that has just started. And as in real life trades and changes are made in the teams between the season. We ended up losing a key player: Happened to be Melo who's actually not with the Nuggets IRL today either - but he was a good scorer and assist-cow in NBA 2k11. Instead we get these completely new guys who can't do shit. I do awesome passes, most of them that should lead to assists. Do they? No... They miss, and miss, and miss... And chance after chance is wasted. The team now relys on me doing most of the scoring. But even if I put up 25 points - we lose because of the newbies shitty play. Then we have Ty Lawson who seem to have nothing else in mind then aiming at the highlight-reel, Billups and NenĂª who can't hit shit anymore. It sucks SO bad that I have decided to request a trade to Clippers, Heat and Bulls. It sucks that it has come to this. I love the Nuggets. But I just can't let them ruin my gaming-experience like this.

I still recommend this game to anyone who is remotely interested in basketball, or even sports-games in general. Sure it has its flaws and it is going to annoy you a bit, but it's realistic and fun most of the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment